If you enjoy working with computer applications and have an interest in construction, consider the Civil Engineering Technician-Structural Program.
As a graduate, you would be part of the team that completes the complex plans needed before construction of major buildings. Your responsibilities could cover a wide range:
- Design and prepare site plans for residential and commercial buildings
- Design and prepare construction documents (architectural and structural) for wood frame, masonry, concrete, and steel frame buildings
- Design and prepare presentation drawings for proposed buildings and present ideas
- Prepare plans, schedules, and details using AutoCAD, and Revit software systems
- Prepare structural steel shop drawings and erection plans for commercial buildings
- Select and prepare the required design calculations for concrete and steel beams and columns, footings, floor slabs, and open web steel joists
Your training will help you understand technical data and the proper use of construction materials:
- Architectural drafting
- Structural drafting
- Structural analysis
- Construction in concrete/steel
Traditionally, graduates find employment in engineering offices. The program emphasizes the development of computer-aided drafting skills, providing you with the skills you need to succeed in today's highly competitive job market. This could be the career area you're looking for!