The Dental Hygienist Program is a good option if you are seeking a career in the health field, have good organizational skills, enjoy working with people, and are detail-oriented.
During your educational program, you will work as a member of a dental health team and learning in CVTC's very own operational dental clinic, focusing on the assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning, implementation, evaluation, and documentation of dental disease as well as prevention of dental disease. You will:
- perform oral inspections
- remove deposits and stains from teeth
- learn radiographic (xray) techniques using digital sensors as well as analog or traditional film-based xrays.
- counsel patients in preventative dental care
There is also a service-learning requirement, allowing you to receive a broad base of dental experience in general dentistry as well as specialty areas, giving you a better understanding of the array of dental options available to patients.
The program prepares you to take the national, regional, and state practical exams that are required for you to be licensed. Graduates of the program are held to high standards. They must
- meet the dental health needs of diverse populations.
- customize and proceed with emergency care protocol based on recognizing symptoms of medical/dental emergencies.
- use the most current infection control guidelines and safety precautions in all laboratory and clinical settings.
- apply principles of dental practice management as a member of a dental health team.
- demonstrate ethical and professional behavior in all roles as a dental hygienist.
Graduates are working in public and private dental practices, hospitals, community dental health facilities, and in research. Job prospects are expected to remain excellent. You have opportunities!
This program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.