GED/HSED Programs

​CVTC offers two options for high school completion: the GED certificate and the HSED. The GED is accepted by most employers, technical colleges, and community colleges. Some employers, universities and branches of the military require an HSED or high school diploma. You can decide which is best for you.

​Required Orientation

If you wish to complete your GED/HSED at CVTC, you must complete the GED/HSED orientation process before you can begin testing. Please contact an Adult Education Service Learning Center near you to register for an orientation.

Email or call 715-833-6400 to get started.

Learn more about our GED/HSED program

We will never share or sell your information outside of CVTC. We may, on occasion, contact you regarding relevant services, events, and materials. You may opt out at any time. View our privacy policy to understand how we collect and use your information.


General Educational Development (GED)

​The GED is a certificate awarded for successfully completing tests in the following high school academic areas:

  • Reasoning through Language Arts
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • Civics
  • Mathematical Reasoning
​// View more details

​High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

​Individuals who wish to obtain an HSED must pass all of the GED requirements and meet additional requirements in:

  • Health
  • Employability Skills
// View more details

​Get Study Help

After you have attended the required orientation, you might decide you need additional help preparing for the GED or HSED exams. If you would like to brush up on your academic skills before taking your GED or HSED tests, we offer free instructional support in an open-lab setting and six-week boot camp classes each semester in our Learning Centers. Our faculty and staff will work with you to determine your strengths and areas for improvement. We’ll help you succeed by learning in a way that best suits your needs.

The study sessions are not required, but are offered tuition-free to help you prepare for, and pass, the tests for the GED & HSED. No guarantee of success can be made, but enrollment in preparatory classes has proved to be one of the surest methods leading up to successful performance on the GED/HSED tests.

Study help is offered at the following CVTC locations:

​Eau Claire
620 W. Clairemont Avenue
BEC Room 111

Chippewa Falls
770 Scheidler Road
Room 102

403 Technology Drive East
Room 103

River Falls
500 S. Wasson Lane
Room 100

11 Tiff Avenue
Room 102

GED/HSED Requirements

General Educational Development (GED)

Age - You must be at least 18 years and six months old.

Class Status​ - You are required to attend school until the end of the school term, quarter or semester of the school year in which you become 18 years of age. If you are not 18 years and six months old, you may still take the test if the class with whom you entered ninth grade has graduated from high school.

Residency - You must be a legal resident of Wisconsin; you may be asked to prove residency. ​

High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

The HSED requires the same tests as the GED, plus these additional requirements:

Complete a health requirement in one of two ways:

  • by successfully completing 0.5 high school credit in health while the individual was enrolled in school (7th to 12th grade);
  • by receiving a passing score on a health test that has been approved by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction and administered at a GED/HSED test center.​

Complete an employability skills​ requirement which includes:

  • Identifying career goals
  • Searching for jobs
  • Completing a job application
  • Writing a cover letter and resume
  • Participating in a mock-interview
  • Writing a thank you letter