Associate Degree | 10-531-2
www.cvtc.edu | 1-800-547-2882
Steps for Admission
Pre-program Requirement (Phase I)
- Submit an application for admission located at cvtc.edu/apply
- Pay the one-time $30 application processing fee.
- Education Requirement – Applicants who did not graduate from high school, are not currently high school seniors, and did not receive an HSED or GED diploma must complete one of the Ability to Benefit (ATB) options to demonstrate college readiness. For more details, please review CVTC’s ATB Program information at kb.cvtc.edu/atb.
- Assessment Range - submit ONE of the following by providing proof with a transcript or score sheet. You will be considered eligible for pre-program even if one of the below options is too low.
- Minimum high school/GED/HSED GPA of 2.8
- Minimum college GPA of 2.2 (6 or more credits)
- Associate Degree or Bachelor's Degree
- ACT® composite score 23
- ACCUPLACER® (Next-Generation) Assessment composite score of 263. The composite score consists of Reading, Writing and Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS). ACCUPLACER® is an un-timed, computerized test. To schedule an ACCUPLACER® appointment, visit our website: cvtc.edu/assessment or contact Student Central at 715-833-6200. You will be subject to a testing fee.
Compass® and ACCUPLACER® (Classic) scores are accepted as well. Contact Student Central at 715-833-6200 for additional information.
- Complete a Wisconsin Criminal Background Check and Background Information Disclosure Form. For instructions to request a background check, please go to cvtc.edu/backgroundcheck. A hardcopy instruction packet can be supplied upon request by calling 715-833-6200. A $36 fee will be required at the time of your order. Background checks processed for other entities will not be accepted.
Please note: Your processed criminal history results are considered current for Admission purposes for four years. If you are still enrolled as a student or re-enter CVTC after the four-year expiration date, you will be required to request another background check and pay the required processing fee. Also, once enrolled in core courses, you may be asked to complete another background check to meet certain clinical site compliance agreements.
Core Program Requirement (Phase II)
- Meet and submit proof of one of the above assessment range scores listed in Phase I. In order to be eligible for the core program courses that begin in January, you must provide a transcript or score sheet that shows you have met the minimum required.
- Complete 531-312 EMT 1 (2 credits) and 531-313 EMT 2 (3 credits) with a grade of C or better OR submit documentation of a current EMT license. If EMT 1 and/or EMT 2 was taken at a college other than CVTC, students must submit a transcript showing the grades and credits earned.
Core Course Eligibility (Phase III)
Applicants who meet all requirements in Phase I and II will be accepted or placed on a waiting list for the core program that starts in January as of the date all documentation is received.
- Core Course Eligibility Form – Applicants meeting one of the scores or options listed above in Phase I and completing Phase II requirements must submit a completed Core Course Eligibility Form (CCE Form) to the Admissions Office. Prior to the end of each term, you will be notified through student email of the CCE Form submission date for that term. You are also encouraged to check with the Admissions Office prior to the end of the term in which you are completing a pathway and coursework to find out the exact CCE Form submission date.
- On the CCE form, applicants should indicate the January semester and year they will be prepared to begin FireMedic core courses. Applicants are placed on waiting lists by date of eligibility regardless of the semester and year requested.
- Students completing all of Phase I and Phase II requirements will be accepted or placed on a waiting list only when the Core Course Eligibility Form is on file.
Once all the above items have been completed, you will be considered for enrollment based on current openings in the program.
These are needed prior to the start of January core course entry:
- Pre-Entrance Health History and Physical Examination – Must be on file three weeks prior to entering the core courses (531 numbered) of the Fire Medic program. The Admissions Office will notify you at the appropriate time with a specified deadline.
- The Wisconsin EMT license is a requirement to start the 531-925 Paramedic Clinical Field 1A course.
- Verification of Valid Driver's License
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license throughout the duration of the program.
- CVTC may periodically check with the student to verify if she/he possesses a valid license.
- Once enrolled in the program, the student is responsible for informing the Fire Medic instructor on the next school day if a loss of license occurs.
- Financial Aid – Information on financial aid availability, procedures, and deadlines may be obtained by going to the Financial Aid page or by calling 715-833-6200.
- Transfer Credit – Applicants with postsecondary credits should submit an official transcript* to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation and possible transfer credit.
*Official transcripts must be submitted directly to CVTC from the educational institution by USPS mail or other recognized mail service providers in a sealed envelope or from a digital credential service (i.e., Parchment) approved by CVTC.
Last Updated: 2023-06-15T19:45:50Z
Printed: 12/8/2023 2:46 a.m.