Nursing - Advanced Placement
Associate Degree | 10-543-1
www.cvtc.edu | 1-800-547-2882
Wisconsin or Minnesota Licensed Practical Nurses may be admitted with advanced placement to the third semester of the Nursing-Associate Degree program. It is strongly recommended that applicants visit with an Academic Advisor to discuss an educational plan.
Steps for Admission
- Phase I - Complete all steps in Phase I to be accepted as a pre-program Advanced Placement Nursing student. Pre-program students are eligible for financial aid and will be invited to complete Phase II requirements and general education courses. Pre-program students may not register for nursing courses (543 numbered courses).
- Phase II – If not completed at time of application, complete all steps in Phase II to become program eligible or for placement on the waiting list.
- Phase III – Students who need to complete Phase II requirements will need to submit the Core Course Eligibility Form when the last Phase II requirement is satisfied to alert Admissions of program readiness.
Pre-Program Requirement (Phase I)
- Submit Application for Admission located at cvtc.edu/apply
- Pay the one-time $30 application processing fee.
- Submit ONE of the following:
- Official high school transcript which includes all courses taken, grades received, and date of graduation
- Copy of General Education Development (GED) certificate
- Copy of High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)
- Official transcript showing completion of an Associate Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, or higher degree.
- Submit ONE of the following by providing proof with a transcript or score sheet. You will be considered eligible for pre-program even if one of the below options is too low.
- Minimum high school/GED/HSED GPA of 2.8
- Minimum college GPA of 2.2 (6 or more credits)
- Associate Degree or Bachelor's Degree
- ACT® composite score 23
- ACCUPLACER® (Next-Generation) Assessment composite score of 263. The composite score consists of Reading, Writing and Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics (QAS). ACCUPLACER® is an un-timed, computerized test. To schedule an ACCUPLACER® appointment, visit our website: cvtc.edu/assessment or contact Student Central at 715-833-6200. You will be subject to a testing fee.
Compass® and ACCUPLACER® (Classic) scores are accepted as well. Contact Student Central at 715-833-6200 for additional information.
- Complete a Wisconsin Criminal Background Check and Background Information Disclosure Form – For instructions to request a background check, please go to cvtc.edu/backgroundcheck. A hardcopy instruction packet can be supplied upon request by calling 715-833-6200. Background checks processed for other entities will not be accepted.
NOTE: Your processed criminal history results are considered current for Admission purposes for four years. If you are still enrolled as a student or re-enter CVTC after the four-year expiration date, you will be required to request another background check and pay the required processing fee. Also, once enrolled in core courses, you may be asked to complete another background check to meet certain clinical site compliance agreements.
Core Program Requirement (Phase II)
- Meet and submit proof of one of the above scores or options listed in Phase I. In order to be eligible for the core program you must provide a transcript or score sheet that shows you have met the minimum requirement.
- Submit a copy of official Practical Nursing transcript (not required for CVTC graduates – however must be a graduate from the Practical Nursing program in order to progress into the core Nursing-Completion program).
- Submit your current Wisconsin or Minnesota LPN Licensure Number indicating date of expiration. LPN licenses from other states are not acceptable.
- Submit proof (transcripts) of having completed the following general education courses with a “C” grade or better:
- 806-177 General Anatomy & Physiology
- 806-179 Advanced Anatomy & Physiology
- 806-197 Microbiology
- 809-188 Developmental Psychology
- 801-136 English Comp I
- 801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Communication or 801-198 Speech
- 809-198 Introduction to Psychology or 809-199 Psychology of Human Relations
- Complete the HESI A2® – HESI A2® scores of 75 or higher on each of the following areas: Anatomy & Physiology, Math, and English are required. The English score is a composite of grammar, reading, and vocabulary. You will be subject to a testing fee and the number of times you can test are limited. It is recommended that you take the HESI assessment after you complete General Anatomy & Physiology. For more detailed information about CVTC's HESI requirement and to schedule a testing appointment go to cvtc.edu/HESI.
Core Course Eligibility (Phase III)
Applicants who meet all requirements in Phase I and II will be accepted or placed on a waiting list as of the date all documentation is received.
- Core Course Eligibility – Applicants meeting one of the scores or options listed above in Phase I and completing Phase II requirements must submit a completed Core Course Eligibility Form (CCE Form) to the Admissions Office.
- Prior to the end of each term you will be notified through student email of the CCE Form submission date for that term. You are also encouraged to check with the Admissions Office prior to the end of the term in which you are completing coursework to find out the exact CCE Form submission date.
- On the form applicants should indicate the January semester and year they will be prepared to begin Nursing-Associate Degree core courses. Applicants are placed on waiting lists by date of eligibility regardless of the semester and year requested.
- Students completing all of the Phase I and Phase II requirements will be accepted or placed on a waiting list only when the Core Course Eligibility Form is on file.
- 543-164 Re-entry to Nursing Practice Course - must complete this one credit course with a grade of "C" or higher to progress into the core program. Course will be completed the semester prior to starting the core program courses. This course does not qualify for financial aid.
- A Pre-Entrance Health History and Physical Examination must be on file three weeks prior to entering the core courses (543 numbered) of the Nursing-Associate Degree program. The Admissions Office will notify you at the appropriate time with a specified deadline.
- Proof of current CPR certification by the American Heart Association - BLS Provider level or the American Red Cross - Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider level is required of students before entering the clinical courses for this program. CVTC offers 531-454 CPR-BLS Provider; find more information at cvtc.edu/seminars. Proof must be verified with a current CPR card. Class rosters, letters from instructors or employers, and online course certification are not acceptable. Instructors will ask for a copy of the card or electronic certificate on the first day of clinical courses.
- Clinical Compliance - to be in compliance with CVTC's partnering clinical agencies and the agencies' regulating bodies, for example the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), students must be prepared to abide by vaccination mandates and health and safety guidelines as dictated by those bodies.
- Course Sequence - Upon acceptance to the core program, students are required to follow the core course sequence (543 numbered courses) and semester credit load as identified on the Program Requirement Sheet.
- Financial Aid – Information on financial aid availability, procedures, and deadlines may be obtained by going to the Financial Aid page or by calling 715-833-6200.
- Transfer Credit – Applicants with post-secondary credits should submit an official transcript to the Admissions Office for evaluation and possible transfer credit.
Last Updated: 2023-06-15T19:59:08Z
Printed: 12/8/2023 2:59 a.m.