Skip to Main Content

Financial Aid Opportunities

Students sitting in CVTC commons

College financial aid is available to help eligible students pay for college expenses. College financial aid comes in many forms such as loans, grants, scholarships, and student work study. Our goal is to assist you and your family in securing the resources necessary to fund your education, and make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities related to financial aid.


Student loans, unlike grants and work-study, are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest. These loans cannot be canceled because you didn't get a job in your field of study or because you are having financial difficulty. Loans are legal obligations, so before you take out a student loan think about the amount that you will have to repay in the years after graduation.

Loans for Students

The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans to help cover the cost of education.

Types of Federal Direct Loans

Subsidized Direct Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. You will not be charged interest before you begin repayment or during authorized periods of deferment.

Unsubsidized Direct Loans are NOT awarded on the basis of need. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is repaid in full. If you allow the interest to accrue (accumulate) while you are in school or during other periods of nonpayment, it will be capitalized. This means that interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan, and additional interest will be based on that higher amount.

An enrollment status of half-time is required for student loans. If you drop below half-time or terminate your enrollment, you may not be eligible to receive your loan disbursement.

Federal Loans for Parents

Federal Parent PLUS Loans

This loan helps parents and guardians with good credit borrow up to the cost of attendance for their undergraduate children. Parent PLUS Loan funds can be used for tuition, supplies, housing, and more. Repayment of a PLUS Loan begins 60 days after the full amount you’ve borrowed for a school year has been disbursed. Parents may request, through the Direct Loan Servicing Center, that repayment be delayed while their child is enrolled at least half-time and during the 6-month period after their child graduates or is no longer enrolled at least half-time.

Get Started with a Parent PLUS Loan
  • To apply for a PLUS Loan the parent will need to complete a PLUS Loan Authorization Form which can be found on the Financial Aid forms page. This form must be returned to the CVTC Financial Aid Office.
  • Parents will also need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Parent PLUS Loans. The MPN is a legally-binding contract between the Department of Education and a borrower. The promissory note contains the terms and conditions of the loan, including how and when the loan must be repaid. Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Parent PLUS now.

There is a time limit (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. Your maximum eligibility period is generally based on the length of your program. Learn more about the time limit.

Think Before you Borrow - Borrow Responsibly!

Do you know how much you have borrowed in student loans? You can review your student loan amounts and the interest rates associated with your loans at the NSLDS website. Use the FSA ID that you signed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid to sign into this website.

After you have viewed the total amount you have borrowed, use that information to determine your monthly student loan payment. You can compare what your monthly student loan payment will be to the average monthly income in your field by looking at the wage information for your program of study in the Follow-up Study of Chippewa Valley Technical College Graduates. (Use the most current year available.)


​Grants are monies that under normal circumstances do not need to be repaid. The following grants are awarded at Chippewa Valley Technical College:

Federal Grants

Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of one (1) credit with high financial need based on the student's Student Aid Index (SAI). The actual awards vary based on the number of enrolled credits.

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is awarded to undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credits with exceptional need based on the student's Student Aid Index (SAI).

girl walking across bridge

United Way of Greater Chippewa Valley - Micro Grants

CVTC students enrolled in the following programs related to high-demand fields that pay family sustaining wages are eligible for a grant of up to $900 per semester supported by the United Way of Greater Chippewa Valley:

  • Dental Hygienist
  • Electrical Power Distribution
  • FireMedic
  • Gas Utility Construction & Services
  • Human Resources
  • IT-Network Specialist
  • Machine Tool Technics
  • Mechanical Design Technology
  • Mechatronics Technician
  • Medical Laboratory Technician
  • Nursing-Associate
  • Nursing Assistant (CNA)
  • Paramedic Technician
  • Practical Nursing (LPN)
  • Radiography
  • Respiratory Therapy
  • Supply Chain Management
  • Truck Driving
  • Welding
  • Welding Fabrication

Applications for these micro grants are accepted year round. Recipients must be in good academic standing, reside in Chippewa or Eau Claire County, be unable to address financial challenges through other funding sources, and be enrolled in three or more credits in one of the high-demand programs listed above. If you have any questions, please contact the Foundation Office at 715-833-6479 or

Wisconsin State Grants

The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG) is available to students who are Wisconsin residents and enrolled at least half-time. The grant is based on financial need.

Native American Grants (WIA, BIA) are available through the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The grant amount is based on need. In addition to completing a FAFSA, students must also complete a separate Indian Scholarship Application which is obtained from their tribal education office for the purpose of certifying the student's degree of Indian blood.

The Minority Retention Grant Program (MINR) is available to minority students who are Wisconsin residents in the second year of a two-year program, maintain a 2.0 grade point average, and meet the financial need criteria. Minority status is determined by the data on our system and awarded after the school year has started.

The Talent Incentive Program (TIP) is designed for first-time students who are economically and/or academically disadvantaged. Students who feel they may qualify for this additional funding may contact the Eau Claire office of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program for further information.

The Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Grant is available to Wisconsin residents who are hearing impaired or visually handicapped and who also demonstrate financial need. Applications are available online at

Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship recipients are chosen by their high schools as academic scholars. Students must be enrolled full time in associate degree programs and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.


Scholarships are funds that normally do not need to be repaid. Scholarships can be based on merit, financial need, or other criteria.
Once you become a student at CVTC you will have access to two types of scholarships:

CVTC Scholarships

Each year through the CVTC Foundation, Inc., the College awards over 400 scholarships to CVTC students. All accepted incoming and currently enrolled students are eligible to apply for CVTC scholarships. The priority application period is open in January of each year. Students apply for all CVTC scholarships using the online application system.

Private Donor Scholarships

These scholarships are not connected with the College and each scholarship has a unique application process and distinct selection criteria. These scholarships are funded by individuals, businesses, industries, or organizations.


CVTC Scholarships

CVTC Scholarships will be awarded each year to high school students and returning adult students. New & incoming students will complete an online application before the fall semester deadline, which is mid-September; priority deadline is mid-February. A Scholarship Selection Committee will review and award these scholarships.

Criteria for the CVTC Excellence Endowment Scholarship:

  • Applicant must be a high school senior or recent graduate
  • Applicant must attend CVTC in the fall after graduation and be enrolled in a degree-granting program 
  • Applicant must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher in high school
  • Applicant must be graduating/have graduated from a high school within the CVTC district

Criteria for the CVTC Adult Opportunity Endowment Scholarship:

  • Applicant must be enrolled at CVTC in a program or pre-program beginning in the upcoming fall semester
  • Applicant must be a returning adult student (at least one year since you last attended school)
  • Applicant must complete a personal statement that includes these three traits:  initiative, desire, and potential to succeed
  • Applicant must submit one letter of recommendation


The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. On campus positions as well as community service positions are available. Students are eligible to earn up to the amount listed on their award notification and are paid on a bi-weekly basis. This money is earned and paid directly to the student, not applied to their student account.

You will be notified on your financial aid award notification if you are eligible for work study. Once you become a student at CVTC, you can view and apply for work study positions.

Man studying in the library

Join Us To

Experience CVTC for Yourself

Explore CampusAttend an EventSchedule a Visit
I'm a(n)