Get Started Today!
Applications are for the following Eau Claire Area counties: Barron, Chippewa, Clark, Dunn, Eau Claire, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Price, Rusk, St. Croix, Taylor and the northern half of Buffalo, Jackson and Trempealeau.
// Steamfitter employer application
// Steamfitter apprentice application
Steamfitters assemble, install, alter, and repair pipeline or pipe systems that carry water, steam, compressed air, liquids, and gases required for processing, manufacturing, heating, and cooling. They install piping and tubing made of carbon steel, copper, plastic, glass, or other metals using a variety of processes including brazing, welding, screwing, gluing, bending, and mechanical joints. Work includes installation of heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems.
Steamfitters work in industrial plants, chemical plants, refineries, power plants, waste water treatment plants, hospitals, and most other commercial, industrial, institutional and residential buildings. The indoor or outdoor work requires strenuous physical stamina and working in cramped spaces or in high areas. Steamfitters work in buildings, trenches, roofs, from scaffolding, on ladders and inside tanks. Safety training reduces hazards from exposure to chemicals, gases, fumes, loud noise, and falls from ladders and scaffolds.
Classroom subjects include drafting and blueprint reading, mathematics, applied physics and chemistry, and safety.
- Five year program
- 7,500 hours on-the-job training
- 624 hours paid related instruction
- 300 hours unpaid related instruction
The applications listed below are for the following Eau Claire Area Counties: Barron, Chippewa, Clark, Dunn, Eau Claire, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Price, Rusk, St. Croix, Taylor and the northern half of Buffalo, Jackson and Trempealeau.
- Applicant's age shall be as stated in the state employment laws
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Meet required norms on Accuplacer test of Reading 74, Arithmetic 66, and Algebra 33 OR ACT of Math 17 and Reading 17 within the last five years.
- Physically able to perform trade work
- Valid driver's license or reliable transportation