Tips on Managing a Successful Career Change
A few fortunate people find their dream job early in life and enjoy a happy and fruitful lifelong career. But most people at some points in their lives are not entirely happy with their work lives and dream of something better. If you are considering a career change, here are some tips to help you through:
- Consider if you want a change, and why – Examine why you are dissatisfied with your current job and what it would take to make it better, but also think about what you like about your career and how you can retain it. Think about whether going in an entirely new direction is right for you.
- Follow your dreams, but be practical too – So what is your dream job? Whatever it is, don’t lose sight of it. But dispel yourself of the illusion that there is one single perfect job for you out there. That’s the stuff of daydreams, and the practicalities of changing careers will bring you down to earth.
- Research your options – A good place to start is CVTC’s Career Clusters page. Are you interested in manufacturing, or is information technology, healthcare, or public safety more appealing? Once you determine the broader area, you can narrow your focus to specific career pathways. Be sure to consider the job opportunities available in your area and your past experiences.
- Inventory your skills and build on them – Taking an honest look at your skills is an essential step whether you’re exploring options for a new career or have already decided and need to plan how to get there. Consider the fields in which your skills are most in demand. Consider how you can build on those skills and learn new ones. CVTC can help with this!
- Don’t get discouraged – Remember that embarking on a new career is not something that will happen overnight. It can be a long process. Be persistent in your efforts. Take it one step at a time, even if you have to re-trace some steps.
Ready to Get Started at CVTC? Apply online or call 715-833-6300 with questions.