If your healthy lifestyle includes low-risk choices regarding substance use, the ability to work independently and within a team, and a desire to use your written and oral communication skills to help others, the Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse (AODA) program is the right choice.
AODA associates are held to high ethical standards to inspire respect, trust, and confidence. Your conduct must never compromise your ability to fulfill your professional responsibilities. To succeed, your skills and character must include:
- Emotional stability, maturity, self-awareness, self-discipline, and personal responsibility.
- A lifestyle free of substance use-related problems.
- An interest in working with people and appreciation of cultural diversity.
- Strong reading, writing, and abstract thinking skills.
In this program, you will learn the skills to help counsel those with substance use disorders including:
- Clinically evaluate for substance use disorders and treatment needs.
- Develop treatment needs.
- Facilitate referral to meet needs.
- Demonstrate service coordination skills.
- Demonstrate counseling skills with individuals, groups, and families.
- Provide education relevant to substance use.
- Maintain clinical records according to agency, federal, and state guidelines.
- Adhere to accepted culturally competent, ethical, and behavioral conduct.
The program includes internship experiences over the last two semesters at clinical sites and treatment-providing agencies where students observe, integrate knowledge, skills, and attitudes acquired earlier in semesters and perform the substance use disorder counselor eight practice dimensions and 12 core functions (the basic tasks and responsibilities that constitute the work of a substance use disorder counselor) with the guidance of a clinical supervisor.
AODA program graduates are licensed in Wisconsin as Substance Abuse Counselors-In Training, qualifying for entry-level employment in a rewarding career.
Just the Facts
Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse (AODA)
70 Credit Associate Degree
Length of Program:
Face to Face
Financial Aid Eligible: Yes
Students in this program should be aware of the risks associated with bloodborne pathogens. Learn more.
Estimated Program Cost
Total Tuition, Fees & Books: $12,629
View Estimated Cost Breakdown