Scope out your future in the Medical Laboratory Technician program at CVTC. If you find research exciting and like the thought of working in a lab, this is the right choice for you. This program helps you acquire the entry-level knowledge and skills you need to work in a clinical laboratory. Your work as a medical lab technician will help provide basic clues to potential illnesses, making this a rewarding career choice.
In the program you will learn how to:
- Collect and process biologic specimens for analysis.
- Perform analytical tests on blood, body fluids, and tissues.
- Recognize pre-analytical and analytical variables in laboratory testing.
- Monitor quality control.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on laboratory instruments.
- Maintain professional conduct in communication with patients, health care professionals, and the public.
The program includes a clinical experience allowing students to practice the principles and procedures of laboratory medicine in a clinical laboratory setting, including the operation of state-of-the-art instrumentation and the use of laboratory information systems to report.
When you complete the program, you will be awarded an associate of applied science degree as a Medical Laboratory Technician and will be eligible to take the national certification exam offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).